Site Password Protection

All Discussion not directly related to the ARMA 2/3 or the Server itself.
Whalen207

Site Password Protection

Postby Whalen207 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:13 pm

Please remove the password restrictions on site, which state that each forum password must have mixed-case letters and numbers. Length requirement is fine, but you shouldn't save the idiots if it means harming the smart, or if it means nobody remembers their fuckin' password.

http://xkcd.com/936/

KYLE
Site Admin

Re: Site Password Protection

Postby KYLE » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:14 pm

What do you find difficult about the requirements? Something as simple as Pasword0 satisfies the requirements. They are there to make it harder for spammers to brute force passwords.
OFPS.NET General Manager
Voted most abusive ARMA Admin by 9 out of 10 Adolescent DayZ Fags.
Bohemia isn't evil, they just spend all of their time making the parts of Arma 3 they couldn't finish on time into DLC.
All Admin Decisions are Final - Bitch and ill throw you into the Arma Sarlacc Pit.

Whalen207

Postby Whalen207 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:40 am

What do you find useful about the requirements? If I want to use a password that I can actually remember (ie: chickenscautiouslycrossingcauseways) instead of one I can't (h4sht4G), I should be able to: it's quite silly that any website requires users to adhere to artificial, pointless guidelines, especially if it ends up with me having to reset my password every time I come on.

It doesn't even make the passwords more secure: phpBB has brute-force password protection, and even if it didn't a 40+ char password (ie:chickenscautiouslycrossingcauseways) is exponentially harder for a computer to guess than a 7 char password (h4sht4G), regardless of the character makeup. Besides, me having to likely write down my confusing mixed-character password would make it less secure anyhow.

I can't find a single advantage in having any password requirements above a minimum character limit, but the disadvantages are obvious. So why keep it?

SpanishSurfer
Site Admin

Postby SpanishSurfer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:44 am

Damn man, just copy the password down on notepad like everyone else does.

Whalen207

Postby Whalen207 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:12 am

SpanishSurfer wrote:Damn man, just copy the password down on notepad like everyone else does.

Can't you just... let people set their own passwords? I have a few that I swap between, so I don't have to write them down anywhere.

Return to “General Discussion / Off Topic”