US National Guard

All Discussion not directly related to the ARMA 2/3 or the Server itself.
MysticDaedra

US National Guard

Postby MysticDaedra » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:23 pm

Hi guys, I'm aware that some folks in the community here are either active or retired military, and I would like to ask your opinion on the National Guard.

I'm currently 20, turning 21 in August, and a music major at my local community college. I've been thinking for over a year now about joining the National Guard (any branch), but my own cynical view of life, coupled with my mothers pleas to remain a civilian ;) have kept me from talking to a recruiter.

I am fully aware that much of what a recruiter will tell me is propaganda, so I'm wondering if any of you have sage advice? It seems to me that I can serve my country while at the same time finishing out my degree. I know there is a chance of foreign deployment, but I'm not sure I'd be totally against that. I'm at a point in my life where I literally have no idea what to do with myself after I get my degree; I'm extremely passionate about music, but I can't imagine myself supporting a family in that field.

Thanks for any advice/info you guys can give me :)

randytailpipe

Re: US National Guard

Postby randytailpipe » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:30 pm

Did 4 AD army as a 68w and gtfo. Now a RN working in corrections making more than I'm worth with zero debt because of the college benefits. Keep a level head and look at it like an investment in your future. Most guys spend their deployment cash on cars with 18% interest rates or blow it on nonsense. Don't be that guy. The Army is a job, nothing more, nothing less. Use it as an opportunity to plant a solid foundation for yourself.

Case in point I deployed in 2007 and brought home something like 50k tax free. I invested 40 of it outright. 8 years later I have a sizeable portion of my house paid off, zero student debt, and a job making close to 100k d/t my military experience (and degree). Not tooting my own horn but just laying down my 2 sense. And my situation isn't unique.

And one more piece of advice - figure out what interests you the most that has a solid civilian parallel if you're not planning on career service. You want something you can transition into the workforce with easy. 11B, 13B, 19D are "fun", but don't be fooled by your local recruiter that you can pivot into the civilian sector easily after ETS with those MOS's. That's not a reality. Go for the college funds and civilian equivalency type jobs.

But in all reality this forum isn't the best for advice of this nature. Find a level headed vet who doesn't still wear his combat boots or carry his books in an ACU backpack (signs of dbaggery) and ask him his thoughts. That's really the only way to go.

KYLE
Site Admin

Postby KYLE » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:35 pm

I think Randy has some great advice. I work with alot of Army ROTC guys in my current job and when it comes to recruiters it is hit or miss. Don't let them blow smoke up your ass regarding job prospects or where you will end up being stationed. There are some no bullshit recruiters but then there are also those who will do or say anything to get you to sign a contract. Speak to somebody with personal experience who is not interested in whether you join or not.
OFPS.NET General Manager
Voted most abusive ARMA Admin by 9 out of 10 Adolescent DayZ Fags.
Bohemia isn't evil, they just spend all of their time making the parts of Arma 3 they couldn't finish on time into DLC.
All Admin Decisions are Final - Bitch and ill throw you into the Arma Sarlacc Pit.

MysticDaedra

Postby MysticDaedra » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:32 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. Unfortunately I live in an extremely liberal part of California (Santa Cruz), and finding military vets who aren't from the Vietnam era is difficult. No bias/discrimination, but those guys had a real hard time of it and are from a different age, the world has changed a lot since then.

Well, at any rate it wouldn't hurt to ask a recruiter for more information. Anything, even propaganda is more than I have right now.

KillerBD

Postby KillerBD » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:59 am

I would skip the Guard and go active duty, 'smart' people seem to join the USAF...

I'm prior US Navy, 4 years, got out. Joined the Army National Guard... Meh, its okay (actually getting out very soon, May will be my last drill, though technically my ETS is August).

But the benefits aren't really that much, unless you already have a SOLID civilian career/job. Otherwise I would look at active duty (pretty much any branch, just know what you want out of it), that way you can get the post-9/11 GI bill. Also I second what randy says... Sure 1% of the time might be 'fun' (99% is usually boring/non-glamorous work) but it will hit you hard come 4 years later and you have no tangible skills that are worth anything in the 'real world'...

Return to “General Discussion / Off Topic”