ARMA 3 Server Suggestions

Discussion Related to the ARMA 3 Server and ARMA 3 in General.
KYLE
Site Admin

ARMA 3 Server Suggestions

Postby KYLE » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:03 pm

Please post your suggestions for changes to the ARMA 3 Server below:

Dreadp1r4te

Re: ARMA 3 Server Suggestions

Postby Dreadp1r4te » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:59 pm

I have a suggestion for ya guys! I'm very new to CTI Warfare; a friend recommended it to me the other day and I found your server to try it early this morning. While I'm having an absolute blast with the gametype, I can't help but feel the AI defending towns is a little bit too harsh and too well geared. The gametype description implies they're civilians defending the towns, but they're armed with APCs and other military-grade gear, which just doesn't seem very appropriate. In the interest of keeping the game challenging, I can see why this is done, especially since there's a shortage of improvised armed vehicles in Arma3 currently, aside from the .50 cal technical. With that being said, I do have to say I think their AI is set to too difficult a difficulty. It's one thing to have them challenging, but these AI routinely shoot down my helicopters with the main guns on their APCs entirely too frequently, even when taking heavy evasive action and/or moving at a high rate of speed/altitude. I've even had them shoot down my Greyhawk orbiting a town at 500 meters. As I said, I understand the game type needs to be challenging, but this is just insane and makes aircraft nearly useless for any type of offensive action. I would suggest toning down their AI skill level a bit to more realistic levels; I find it highly unlikely that an APCs turret can turn rapidly enough to track a Pawnee moving at 250 kmh perpendicular to the APC, especially from a kilometer away.

That being said, please don't take this to be a complaint; merely a suggestion! I'm having a ton of fun on this server/with this mission, so thanks a ton for having me!

SpanishSurfer
Site Admin

Postby SpanishSurfer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:21 am

Thanks for the suggestion! However, while the AI aiming accuracy is a little high, they are still very easily destroyed. As you play more often on the mission you will realize they are not difficult to destroy. My suggestion to you is to fly higher and avoid the enemy turret of those apcs. If your aircraft does not have guided missiles avoid resistance towns. Aircraft like the pawnee/ghosthawk are excellent at killing players who are causing your team a lot of trouble and are NOT carrying AA launchers.

See you on the battlefield!

lucky

Postby lucky » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:09 pm

I'm not sure if this is something that's fixable, but a few times I've played where a commander is AFK or simply not doing the commander's job. After trying a few times to get a vote kick complete (I suppose we couldn't get enough votes) I simply had to stop playing.

KYLE
Site Admin

Postby KYLE » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:34 pm

Hop on TS3, there is normally an admin on. We are more than happy to kick afk commanders, etc.
OFPS.NET General Manager
Voted most abusive ARMA Admin by 9 out of 10 Adolescent DayZ Fags.
Bohemia isn't evil, they just spend all of their time making the parts of Arma 3 they couldn't finish on time into DLC.
All Admin Decisions are Final - Bitch and ill throw you into the Arma Sarlacc Pit.

SpanishSurfer
Site Admin

Postby SpanishSurfer » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:31 am

Like Kyle said, reach out to admins.

Whalen207

Postby Whalen207 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:31 am

Dreadp1r4te wrote:I've even had them shoot down my Greyhawk orbiting a town at 500 meters. As I said, I understand the game type needs to be challenging, but this is just insane and makes aircraft nearly useless for any type of offensive action. I would suggest toning down their AI skill level a bit to more realistic levels; I find it highly unlikely that an APCs turret can turn rapidly enough to track a Pawnee moving at 250 kmh perpendicular to the APC, especially from a kilometer away.

Future!

Technically though, human players can easily do it too -- all of the heavy APCs have autocannons that aim for you if you lock onto a heat signature, as par modern militaries and Arma 2. The AI in this game are meant to emulate skilled players (in many cases, end up more skilled than most players), hence it's not surprising that they'll eventually get a good bead on your Greyhawk or Pawnee. If you really want safety, fly extremely low or extremely high, because going fast alone won't save you.

Plus you don't have to worry about MANPAD AA launchers anymore, just guns, since there's no more infantry resistance in towns.

Dreadp1r4te

Postby Dreadp1r4te » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:34 am

I would LOVE to see this mod enabled and supported.

AI Heli Control

Whalen207 wrote:....If you really want safety, fly extremely low or extremely high, because going fast alone won't save you.

Plus you don't have to worry about MANPAD AA launchers anymore, just guns, since there's no more infantry resistance in towns.

I don't want safety, per se; I want the independent AI to perform realistically, not like a precision computer. At the moment, their accuracy is something akin to Hawkeye in the Avengers with his bow, and our (player owned) AI is like Stormtroopers.

This also raises the question of why the independent defenders are so well geared to begin with. The mission profile (for BECTI, anyhow) implies they're civilians who've taken up arms to defend their towns from the two invading armies, but in game they seem to be more like the entire AAF, armed with tanks, APCs, and MRAPs, and if you think about it, if they combined all their assets (assuming each town has at least 1 APC and 1 MRAP, and every third town has 1 MBT, just ball park numbers here) they could easily annihilate both armies relatively easily if they focused their efforts.

I'm also still wondering why the Pawnee is an armed helicopter with no flares. The armed PO-30 Orca has them, although I guess it's more analogous to the GhostHawk. In any event, I strongly feel that the Pawnee's cost-to-effectiveness ratio is severly underwhelming, given how easy it is to take down, even with small arms fire. I'd really like to see either the AI difficulty lowered (and there are other reasons for that too; I recently drove a tank to an active village, rolled over a hill 1.2km away to get line of sight on the AI vehicles, and had one targetted and was waiting for the gunner to line up the shot when it obliterated my tank with a barrage of guided missiles, despite popping smoke.) OR the cost of the Pawnee lowered to reflect its uselessness.

What about making the enemy AI difficulty dynamic? Sort of like that new mod the server now supports; have all the AI have random difficulty, with common amounts of regular troops/gunners, and rare amounts of veteran troops/gunners? This would keep the game challenging, make it more dynamic, and allow assets to be used as they were intended.

SpanishSurfer
Site Admin

Postby SpanishSurfer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:55 am

The pawnee is the cheapest attack heli in the game and if flown by the right person it is very deadly. As for AI difficulty we may implement ASR AI after some testing with it, the current skill level they demonstrate is adequate (as groups of players are having no issue rolling over towns quickly). Why are they equipped so well? Simple, there is not much content as in Arma 2. Plus, since we're using vehicles only to improve server FPS I turned off squads of infantry in towns and introduced heavy vehicles, which had a dramatic effect.

I checked out that mod, it's designed for Arma 2 and not Arma 3.

Dreadp1r4te

Postby Dreadp1r4te » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:33 am

@the mod: Yeah, I know it's for A2, I was just wishing out loud XD

Return to “ARMA 3”