"3FPS Issue" - Call for Help (From the BIS forums)

Discussion Related to the ARMA 3 Server and ARMA 3 in General.
Fresh

"3FPS Issue" - Call for Help (From the BIS forums)

Postby Fresh » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:20 pm

It looks like the boys at BIS are getting extra serious about solving the '3FPS / mem leak' issue and are asking for community help in doing so.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/20202 ... -for-help/

"We have been hunting for the so called "3FPS Bug" for some time without any clean success. We managed to squash several issues on the way, be it potential memory leaks, scripting issues and security concerns, but there are still many reported occurrences of this behaviour:

- After some time of playing (usually 45-60 minutes) the game goes instantly to roughly 3FPS
- Game doesn't recover until it is restarted
- This doesn't only depend on modding of the game, even game without mods may encounter this issue
- It usually takes place in MP environment

As we are yet unable to reproduce said behaviour on our internal machines, we need your help to crush this issue. There is a Feedback Tracker Ticket about this issue, we would like to ask anyone experiencing said behaviour to collect their dxdiag data (simply by typing "dxdiag" in their start menu and saving the profile, removing the Machine Name and Machine ID parts), trying to get minidumps of their memory prior and after the issue using ProcDump (thanks to the guys from Microsoft for recommending this software to us) and adding an Arma 3 RPT. That could possibly help us to localize the issue better and to address it in the future.
Thanks a lot for your participation, lets make Arma better together."

I've been reading the comments and so far this one is the most intriguing:

"I doubt this information has any relevance to this issue, by the sounds of things players are getting this on SP as well as MP, if that is the case this post is completely irrelevant but I thought I might as well throw in my input while I'm here.

From my own personal experience with both ArmA 2 OA and more recently ArmA 3 over the past 6 months, I noticed an increase in players complaining about this so-call 3fps bug, however, I've always been able to find a solution. The following information from ArmA 2 is from the past 4 months, and the information provided about ArmA 3 is from the past month or so.

On an ArmA 2 server I ran, with approximately 50 people on we received about 50-75% of our players complaining about their FPS, I notably enabled some additional battlEye filters a few hours before hand due to an increase in hacker attacks we'd be having; after this change we started getting complaints. I waited a few days, restarted the server on a regular basis and modified our basic.cfg settings to try and optimise our bandwidth usage so I could try and figure out if the issue was client side or server side. After a few days I disabled all battlEye filters and refreshed the battlEye events & scripts logging and to my surprise, it fixed this issue. My players simply had to restart their game and rejoin, and it completely fixed their issue.

To confirm it was battlEye, I got the staff team of the community I worked for onto the development server (~20 people), enabled some useless BattlEye filters that would somewhat simulate a major player base running the regular BattlEye filters, and to my surprise, they got this 3fps issue within about 10 minutes, if not less.

I had a similar experience with a recent ArmA 3 server I'd setup; we were running a generic Lakeside Life Server on Tonic's mission; I added some additional battlEye filters to counter the extra modifications to the mission (both mods and code), and after these changes we're initially made, I, as the only person on the server at the time (it was a Development server) noticed after about 10 minutes I would receive this 3fps issue for about 2 minutes before my game crashed due to, if I recall correctly an 'out of memory' error.

After some extensive testing, I was having similar issues as the original author; requiring a game restart to fix the issue, or even the game just crashing after a set amount of time. Furthermore, the time generally ranged from as low as 10 minutes all the way up to an hour.

If I can make an initial recommendation to any server owners with players suffering from this issue; try disabling your most network (and client) intensive battlEye filters (such as scripts.txt and remoteexec.txt) if not all of them, Obviously do this without notifying your players and keep them disabled for a hours if you can (unless its a private server) and see if your players who commonly complain about this FPS issue keep on getting it. If you don't actually have any battlEye filters (I don't know why private milsim units would require battlEye filters), then I'm unsure at this point what might be causing it
EDIT:

Before APEX was released, I worked for an ArmA 3 community that ran an average ArmA 3 Life server, they never received this issue before the release of APEX, but after the release of APEX and they changed their battlEye filters to meet the new requirements, they kept receiving reports of this 3fps issue. They had no clue what was causing it and at the time I didn't know how to fix it, it was only in August when I vouched to assist an ArmA 2 server due to their recent increase in hacker attacks & lack of developers that I noticed this FPS issue really started to occur. It never happened before I added new BattlEye filters, it happened as soon as I added in new battlEye filters and then stopped when I removed them + the players unfortunate enough to receive this issue restarted their games."

I think if enough minds ponder this 'issue', it cannot help but get resolved, and I'm sure we'd all love to see that. At the end of the day, these 'crashes' are affecting gameplay, as everytime one crashes, we lose our AI, vehs, map positions, etc... I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. :)

INNOCENTandCLUELESS

Re: "3FPS Issue" - Call for Help (From the BIS forums)

Postby INNOCENTandCLUELESS » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:42 am

I am a victim too.

I do not know if this is related to the mission logic or caused by CUP addons, but I never had this 3 FPS thingy + crashes with any other server/mission. OFPS mission or CUP might not bee the root cause, nevertheless having 3-5 crashes per 2h is annoing.

omon
Site Admin

Postby omon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:07 am

playing in fullscreen windows mode helped a little, i can now play for few hours before slide show.
but yeah need to help BIS with useful debug info!

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Wed May 10, 2017 11:55 pm

Not sure if it's the 64 Bit or the RHS, but i noticed i'm no longer getting those annoying game crashes!

Return to “ARMA 3”